Acton Web/Mobile Intern Tasks
Will assist our website administrator with the continued development of Acton’s web presence, specific project related micro-sites and other programming projects.
The ideal candidate should have experience suitable to deal in a multi-tasked environment to efficiently coordinate several projects, will be self-motivated and possess strong problem solving ability.
The mobile half of this internship requires the use of a Mac computer for Android/Apple development and/or a Windows 8 computer for Windows Phone development.
- Analyzing and implementing improved search engine optimization for the PowerBlog and other websites.
- Cleaning up old PowerBlog posts with broken images.
- Intern would learn and get acquainted with our version control system and work with website code.
- Marketing and promoting mobile apps and learning how our mobile apps were built.
- Graduate into setting up development software for Android, Apple, and/or Windows Phone and working with/modifying the code of our existing apps.
- Generate and evaluate different app ideas for Acton to promote our material and research how to implement them.
- All of the novice tasks, plus…
- Improving the Acton Quote of the Day engine with a web service / API implementation for use in our mobile app interfaces.
- If they are adept at design, they would create improved newsletter templates for the newsletter maker app. We are looking for responsive email templates.
- Intern would expand our existing mobile apps like the Newsstand apps on iOS and likely work on bringing publications like Acton Notes and the Journal of Markets & Morality to Newsstand.
Experience with the following is preferred, but is not required
- Git version control
- Unix-based Operating Systems and web server administration
- Adobe Creative Suite including Photoshop, Dreamweaver and/or Fireworks
- The Raiser's Edge CRM
- Ruby on Rails
- Open Journal Systems
- Proficiency in Spanish translation or other languages.
To learn more about internships at the Acton Institute, visit our internships page. Click here to apply online and send your cover letter, resume and writing sample along with a letter of recommendation to firstname.lastname@example.org. Your cover letter should detail your interest in working at the Acton Institute and your writing sample should be no more than 250 - 300 words and should reflect your perspective of Acton’s mission. Applicants should be enrolled in a 4-year college or university and have already completed a minimum of two years of undergraduate education. Applicants are required to be present for the entire 8 week program beginning June 3, 2016 through July 31, 2016.